IRAFS was founded for promoting opportunities of discussion and in-depth research about the foundations of the different scientific and humanistic disciplines, by using the amazing opportunities offered by the axiomatic method. This method, during the XX century, was used overall for developing the mathematical logic. On the contrary, overall during the last thirty years, it was used also for developing the so-called philosophical logic, so to extend the advantages of the axiomatic method, from the mathematical and the natural sciences, to the humanistic disciplines.
This opened the way, not only to the next digital revolution of the semantic web, and of the artificial simulation of the human intentional behavior, destined to change deeply our society, our culture, and our economy – the so-called next “digital tsunami” -, but also to a new era for the interdisciplinary and the intercultural dialogue.
IRAFS, because of the foresight of prof. De Giorgi and of his friends, was since the beginning on the cutting edge of this revolution…
At the actual Third Edition of the IRAFS, twenty-five years after its foundation, we think not only at continuing along the direction of the first two previous editions, expressed in the Foundation Document, but also to integrate them along the lines, emerging as prevailing in the worldwide scientific and technological, but also philosophical research, during the last years.
Such lines move according to two further directions that are like as many branches of the original ones, always devoted to promote an ever more fruitful, effective and wider dialogue:
- A special attention for the practical consequences, directly depending on the foundational research, main object of the Area activities. These practical consequences, in the actual worldwide debate, are mainly related with:
- The ethical and legal issues depending, both on the ecological and the environmental applied research, and on the life and the health sciences and technologies.
- The multifarious issues (social, cultural, educational, economical…) related with the semantic web and the applied ontologies development – and more generally, with the theoretical and applied research in the artificial intelligence and robotics , aimed at simulating the human intentional behavior. This science and this technology, indeed, is destined to change deeply our lives, and our societies.
- A special attention for the dissemination of the contents of our research and applied work that, precisely for its theoretical and practical relevance, requires our maximum effort:
- For disseminating it in a proper way to a potentially unlimited audience the contents of the scientific research with its related anthropological and social implications, against an over-simplified and often misleading divulgation of such topics, often dominating on the web.
- For educating the young generations to be not only skilled users of such technologies – as generally they are -, but also aware and cognizant actors of the digital revolution we are living.
All these aims, both the old and the new ones, are synthesized in the Ethics and Program statements illustrating values and actions constituting the Mission of this Third Edition of the IRAFS activities.